Back in Sagittarius with the telescope

I went back to Sagittarius with the telescope. It is low in the sky and is only visible early in the evening. So I only stayed out for an hour or so. There were also passing clouds although it did get better after I was all done.

It was also my first time using the Telrad. Definitely helpful although not as easy to use as the laser: it's awkward looking through it on a Dobsonian, and you can't use binoculars so you are limited to the few stars visible with the naked eye in the San Francisco sky.

Unfortunately, I installed the dovetail base directly about one of the tightening nob for the trusses and so I could not slide the Telrad into place without first unscrewing the nob.

I started with visual observations using the Baader Zoom for M22 and M24 then switched to the camera because the views were underwhelming.

Observations:

  • M22 (Great Sagittarius Cluster)
  • M24 (Small Sagittarius Star Cloud) and NGC 6603 (within M24) recognized through plate solving
  • M17 (Omega Nebula) - Sagittarius
  • M16 (Swan Nebula) - Sagittarius
  • M25 (Open Cluster) - Sagittarius
  • Could not see M8 or M20 as they were blocked by the neighbor's house.
  • M55 (Globular Cluster) - Sagittarius
  • M54 (Globular Cluster) - Sagittarius
  • Saturn - the stack from the captured video didn't show any details

M22 Great Sagittarius Cluster
NGC 6603 (in M24)

M24 Small Sagittarius Star Cloud



M17 Omega Nebula

M16 Eagle Nebula

M25

M54

M55