EAA through 50mm finder scope

  I wanted to try the camera through the finder scope with two goals:

  • see if it could be used as a enhanced finder scope (if I ever get a second camera),
  • to do some imaging with large objects (e.g. M31, M45, other large open clusters).
First I got the Orion deluxe 50mm f/3.2. Unfortunately I was unable to achieve focus with or without focal reducer. Then I got the Svbony 50mm f/4. With that one, I was able to achieve focus but only without the focal reducer. That means a fairly small field of view (2.2 deg x 1.2 deg) and much longer integration time to match the telescope.

I could not use the guide scope where I usually setup the finder scope because it runs into the focuser. So I set it up in the other dovetail shoe and used my regular finder scope also.

I started with the Moon and Jupiter through ASICap. I was not able to see any details on Jupiter then moved to DSOs starting with M31 which came out okay, but other galaxies were harder.

For star hopping, it is a decent setup despite the small FOV. It picks up more stars than the finder scope (magnitude 9 easily at 0.5s exposure and 10+ at 1s).

Observations:
  • Moon
  • Jupiter
  • M31 Andromeda  Galaxy, M32 and M110
  • C23 Silver Sliver Galaxy - Andromeda (very hard)
  • M33 Triangulum Galaxy (not many details0
  • M45 Pleiades 
  • C28 Open Cluster - Andromeda
  • M39 Open Cluster - Cygnus
  • M34 Open Cluster - Perseus
  • C13 Owl Open Cluster - Andromeda
  • M103 Open Cluster - Cassiopeia
  • C14 Double Cluster - Perseus
  • M36 Pinwheel Cluster - Auriga
  • M38 Starfish Open Cluster - Auriga

M31 Andromeda Galaxy, M32 and M110

M31 Andromeda Galaxy, M32 and M110

C23 Silver Sliver Galaxy

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

M45 Pleiades

C28

M39

M34

C13 Owl Cluster

M103

C14 Double Cluster

M31 Andromeda Galaxy, M32 and M110

M36 Pinwheel Cluster

M38 Starfish Cluster

Moon

Setup (and M45 on laptop screen)