First light with the 2" focal reducer

Around 9:30pm, I checked on usps.com the status of the package with the 2" FR (it was supposed to arrive Monday) and it said it had just been delivered. I found the box outside and decided to give it a try. The seeing conditions did not look as good as the previous nights. It looked grayer and there were occasional high altitude clouds.

I tried the 30mm spacer ring first and was able to achieve focus and calculated the FR to be 0.55x (making the telescope a f/2.75). With a 15mm spacing ring, the FR is 0.65x (making the telescope a f/3.25). 

Unfortunately there was vignetting but more importantly it was difficult getting a good picture. After observing a few objects I removed the FR. Maybe it is time to do flats (I believe they could address the vignetting).

Observations:

  • M31 Andromeda Galaxy, M32 and M110 - ugly pictures (not uploaded here)
  • M45 Pleiades - with 0.65x FR - okay picture, adjusted brightness/contrast to make vignetting disk disappear
  • M33 Triangulum galaxy - with 0.65x then without
  • M1 Crab Nebula (no FR)
  • M42 Great Orion Nebula and M43 de Mairan's Nebula (no FR)
  • NGC 2204 Flame Nebula and IC 434 Horse head Nebula - Orion (no FR)
  • M78 Casper the Friendly Ghost Nebula- Orion (no FR)
  • C49 Rosette Nebula and C50 Open Cluster - Monoceros (no FR)


M45 Pleiades (0.65x FR)

M33 Triangulum Galaxy (0.65x FR)

M33 Triangulum Galaxy

M1 Crab Nebula

M42 Great Orion Nebula and M43 de Mairan's Nebula

NGC 2024 Flame Nebula and IC 434 Horse Head Nebula

M78 Casper the Friendly Ghost Nebula

C49 Rosette Nebula and C50 Open Cluster