EAA through 100mm tabletop Dobsonian
Got a Zhummell 100mm f/4 tabletop Dobsonian.
During the day, I experimented with the camera and the focal reducer and established that the best I could do was 0.8x therefore making the telescope into a f/3.2. That FR is achieved by using just a 6mm spacer ring on top of the filter adapter as the nose piece.
I installed my laser pointer instead of the red dot finder provided with the telescope.
First, I mounted the OTA on my photo tripod and placed the tripod on top of the EQ platform. There were a few challenges with the setup:
- The tripod feet don't quite fit on the EQ platform, so I had them hanging off the sides.
- Aiming the telescope was tricky, the tripod does not allow for one handed movement so I couldn't laser point with the binoculars.
Took a break. Went back out and used the Dobsonian base instead. That proved easier to use than the tripod. Also started using 7x50 binoculars for aiming. At the end to photograph Orion which was quite low, I stacked the small Dobs on a foot rest on top of the platform.
Pictures came out looking nice (better than the 50mm finder scope) and bringing the gear in and out was of course super quick and easy.
Observations:
- M31 Andromeda Galaxy and M110, M32
- M33 Triangulum Galaxy
- M45 Pleiades - does not fit the frame
- M34 Open Cluster - Perseus
- C23 Silver Sliver Galaxy - Andromeda
- M15 Great Pegassus Cluster
- M1 Crab Nebula - Taurus
- M38 Starfish Cluster and NGC 1907 Open Cluster - Auriga
- M36 Pinwheel Cluster - Auriga
- C14 Double Cluster - Perseus
- Mel 3 Globular Cluster - Sculptor
- C65 Sculptor Galaxy
- Back to M31 / M110 / M32 (very high in the sky)
- M42 Great Orion Nebula and M43 De Mairan's Nebula
- NGC 2024 Flame Nebula and IC 434 Horse head Nebula
- NGC 2071 and M78 Casper the Friendly Ghost Nebula
| M31 Andromeda Galaxy with M110 (left) and M32 (right) |
| M33 Triangulum Galaxy |
| Alcyone in M45 Pleiades |
| M34 |
| C23 Silver Sliver Galaxy |
| M15 Great Pegasus Cluster |
| M1 Crab Nebula |
| M38 Starfish Cluster and NGC 1907 |
| M36 Pinwheel Cluster |
| C14 Double Cluster |
| Mel 3 |
| C65 Sculptor Galaxy |
| M31 Andromeda Galaxy with M32 (left) and M110 (right) |
| M42 and M43 |
| NGC 2024 Flame Nebula |
| NGC 2024 Flame Nebula and IC 434 Horse head Nebula |
| NGC 2071 and M78 Casper the Friendly Ghost Nebula |
| Initial setup with tripod |