EZ Mount with 12x70

Decided to try the 12x70 binoculars on the EZ mount. 

Since these binoculars are a lot lighter (3 lbs instead of 10+ lbs), I removed 10 of the 15 lbs of counterweight from the main arm and the two 2.5 lbs counterweight from the smaller arms. The full rig is now 22 lbs lighter and a lot easier to use. 

I don't need to use the tightening screw much. I can grab the binoculars and point them where I want with almost the same freedom of having them hand held with the advantage of course of having them stay put once I am where I want to be. When needed, I can make small adjustments to the position of the mount in relation to the chair while remaining seated without too much effort.

At the end, I tried standing up and it was actually pretty nice. Moving around the sky is super easy, you can just take a step back to check the map and unlike a tripod, keeping them at the perfect height is just a matter moving the main arm up or down and stepping a little closer or further.

Finally aiming and star hopping is easier at 12x and shaking was less distracting also. 

I had to wipe the dew off a few times, especially when I left the binoculars out for a while.

It's a decent mount after all as long as the binoculars are not too heavy.

Observations:

  • M45 Pleiades - Taurus
  • C41 Hyades - Taurus
  • M42 Great Orion Nebula
  • NGC 2169 Little Pleiades Cluster - Orion
  • Located but could not see M79 Globular Cluster - Lepus
  • M36, M37, M38 Open Clusters - Auriga
  • Located but could not see M1 Crab Nebula - Taurus.
  • M41 Little Beehive Cluster - Canis Major
  • M50 Open Cluster - Monoceros
  • Located but could not see C58 Open Cluster - Canis Major
  • M47 Open Cluster - Puppis
  • Located but could not see M46 Open Cluster - Puppis
  • M44 Beehive Cluster - Cancer
  • Located but could not see M67 Open Cluster - Cancer
  • M35 Open Cluster - Gemini
  • M34 Open Cluster - Perseus
  • C14 Double Cluster - Cassiopeia
  • Failed to locate/see M3 Globular Cluster - Canes Venatici - it was probably too low, with the light pollution in that part of the sky, it was impossible to star hop