Struggling with flats

After yesterday's success with a flat, I decided to go back out and try to make new flats for 0.55x FR (30 mm spacer) and 0.65x FR (15 mm spacer). Unfortunately things did not go well.

  • At 0.55x and 0.65x, the flat has a very pronounced disk of light. When stacking with them, the outside gets too bright (a sort of reverse vignetting effect). 
  • I also noticed that the disk of light in the flat moves around as I move the flashlight. So the dispersion by the cloth is not as good as I thought and I should probably use some kind of flat panel covering the whole aperture instead.
  • Also, with greater FR, the coma is quite noticeable as you look away from the center.

To make matters worse, tracking was not as good today (time to replace the anti-slip tape again maybe?) and it got breezy.

I briefly tried to stack M42 with low gain but still using the high gain flat and that produced a bad result. I should have created a flat at low gain.

Observations:

  • M42 Great Orion Nebula, M43 de Mairan's Nebula and NGC 1975 Running Man Nebula
  • NGC 2024 Flame Nebula and IC 434 Horsehead Nebula
  • M45 Pleiades - Taurus

M42, M43 and NGC 1975 - 0.55x FR

NGC 2024 and IC 434 - 0.55x FR

M45 - 0.55x FR

M42 and M43 - 0.65x FR

M45 - 0.65x FR

M42 and M43 - 0.75x FR