Bino viewing with the dobsonian

I started relatively late and setup the telescope near the house to be sheltered from the gusty wind (and also because I didn't want to carry the already setup telescope up the steps with my recovering knee - instead I used a luggage cart to roll it outside and I took it apart at the end). Because of that I had to observe East and couldn't observe the "classics" in Orion, Taurus, Auriga, Canis Major, Perseus etc.

I observed exclusively with the new William Optics binoviewer and the 1.6x OCA so at 100x. I tried the bino bandit at first, but it seemed to cause dew to form up. I had to use 2 lbs ankle weight on the mirror box as counterweights.

I saw quite a few galaxies, but they were all very faint. 

Observations:

  • M44 Beehive cluster - Cancer - too big for the TFOV
  • M67 Golden Eye Cluster - Cancer
  • M65 / M66 Galaxies part of the Leo Triplet
  • M95 / M96 / M105 and NGC 3384 - more Leo Galaxies
  • M3 Globular Cluster - Canes Venatici
  • M81 Bode's Galaxy and M82 Cigar Galaxy - Ursa Major
  • Failed to see M109 and M108 Galaxies - Ursa Major
  • Barely "saw" M97 Owl Nebula - Ursa Major
  • M51 Whirlpool Galaxy - Canes Venatici
  • Spent time trying to locate M40 Double Star - Ursa Major - it's not in Stellarium on the phone - probably saw it though