Quick solar observation with a 80mm refractor
I borrowed a 80mm f/5 Meade Infinity refractor from a friend for my upcoming trip to Death Valley.
I decided to give it a quick try during the day observing the sun with the filter I had bought for the Z100 a few months ago. It was my first time observing the sun through the EP. With the Z100, I had always used the camera.
The sun looked great, an orange disk not too bright with clearly visible spots.
I tried various eye pieces:
- 26mm that came with the telescope - nice view (15x)
- Baader Zoom 8mm - 24mm - best views (16x-50x)
- Explore Scientific 3mm - hard to get it a good focus (133x)
- 26mm + 2x Barlow that came with my Dobsonian - nice view (30x)
- Baader Zoom + 2x Barlow - difficult at the highest magnification (100x)
- Binoviewers with 20mm EP and 1.6x OCA - not enough back focus to reach focus