Trying my new telescope (day time)

I just received a new telescope: a Skywatcher Skymax 102mm F/13 Matksutov.

The primary goal is to use it as a travel telescope as it's light and compact, and should hopefully work fine with my photo tripod.

The secondary goal is to complement the Dobsonian for visual observations. As a F/13 it should perform better with SSOs and double stars.

There was still some sunlight at the back of the yard so I took the telescope out for a quick spin.

  • It looked collimated as I was able to achieve focus nicely.
  • I was able to reach focus with the binoviewers without even having to use the OCA (focus is done by moving the primary mirror on a Maksutov).
  • It held the heaviest eye pieces (the binoviewers) without problem - thanks to not attaching the diagonal to a focuser.
  • The diagonal is okay but looks a bit cheap / plasticky and should probably be upgraded.
  • I also tried the Baader zoom with no issues.
  • Tracking the sun with the photo tripod was okay.
I observed the sun for a while and saw a nice set of spots (see Nasa picture below).

    I also did some terrestrial observations.
    • The picture is right side up thanks to the diagonal.
    • The image looks okay in binoviewer and Baader.
    • I also tried the 10mm and 25mm provided but they offer small FOV and short eye relief so I will probably never use them.
    • There is a bit of dimming in the center with all eye pieces (probably due to the obstruction of the secondary).
    • I also mounted the 9x50 finderscope, and the whole setup felt solid and balanced.


    Nasa Sun picture for today