An evening of EAA and visual astronomy

Finally a truly cloudless evening!

I decided to take out the Dobsonian to do some EAA. I kept exposure time low (1s) because tracking was so-so (maybe it's time to replace the sand paper strip).

Later I decided to do some visual astronomy with the binoviewers in the Dobs still on the EQ platform. 

I had not really done that with the old platform because it made the whole setup less stable. With this platform it works well. 

I had great views of the planets. The binoviewers really shine for SSOs. And the platform helps although the drift was noticeable at 250x.

I tried the Barlow + binoviewers (with OCA) so 250x on Jupiter and got decent views. Too bad the Great Red Spot had not risen yet. On Jupiter, I could see a red fringe on one side and blue one on the other, And ADC could help.

Observations (EAA)

  • M30 Jellyfish Globular Cluster - Capricornus
  • M73 Asterism - Aquarius
  • M72 Globular Cluster - Aquarius
  • M2 Globular Cluster  - Aquarius
  • M15 Great Pegasus Globular Cluster
  • C42 Globular Cluster - Delphinus
  • MGC 6891 Planetary Nebula - Delphinus
  • C47 Globular Cluster - Delphinus
  • Vesta - Asteroid - Capricornus
  • M31 Andromeda Galaxy and M32
  • M33 Triangulum Galaxy
  • C63 Helix Nebula - Capricornus

Observations (visual)

  • Saturn and several of its moons
  • M31, M110, M32?
  • Jupiter and the four moons
  • Failed to locate/see M33
  • M45 Pleiades - Taurus - too big for the FOV
  • Mars: super low, barely clearing the fence so not a great view

M30 Jellyfish Globular Cluster 45x1s

M73 45x1s

M72 35x1s

M2 30x1s

M15 Great Pegasus Cluster 30x1s

C42 30x1s

NGC 6891 11x1s

C47 30x1s

Vesta 10x1s

M31 and M32 30x1s



M33 Triangulum Galaxy 133x1s

C63 Helix Nebula 75x1s (post-processed in Siril)