I went out again to take advantage of another moonless night with clear skies (albeit washed out again). I wanted to try a new approach for aligning the platform and also try and get some calibration frames to get rid of vignetting.
I started with a brief visual observations with A (see below).
Then I tried a new approach for aligning the platform. Instead of using the laser to point to Polaris which is only possible from one part of the yard, I decided to use the camera. I centered as best as possible the platform top on its base and mirror box above. Then use plate solving while rotating the base of the platform until I got as close as possible to 0 deg north. After that, it felt like the alignment was pretty good although I did not do a lot of EAA. The weak part of the process is probably the lining up of the mirror box and platform top to its base.
Next, I did some calibration frames: flats with a white cloth and a LED flashlight, darks and biases with the coat over the telescope. The only flats that were not completely saturated were with 0.01s exposures.
I then turned my aim to the Andromeda Galaxy and the Pleiades which are always plagued by too much vignetting. I felt that the flats helped a bit although it was too bright in one corner and there were also some weird color changes. Next time, I should save the single frames and try stacking offline with different calibration frames to figure out the best ones.
At that point, I switched from the ASI294MC with 0.75x FR to the ASI678MC with no FR. I could not plate solve or stack at bin1, but it worked at bin2. At bin2, it's like having 4 μm pixels. Compared to the ASI294MC with 0.75FR, it is therefore zooming in by a factor of (4.7/0.75)/4 = 1.6x.
I imaged Mars first and then a few DSOs (see below).
Observations (visual)
- Jupiter and its 4 moons - could not get a sharp focus with the binoviewers, so switched to the Baader zoom and it helped a bit - could see the two bands
- Mars - A says it could see part of the disk being slightly darker
- M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy
- M45 Pleiades
Observations (asi294mc with 0.75x FR)
- M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy and M32 Galaxy - tried 2s, 2.5s, 3s, with and without flats
- M45 Pleiades - Taurus - with and without flats - with flats it shows more of the nebulosity, and when made black and white, it looks almost decent
Observations (asi678mc)
- Mars - tracking was definitely better than last time thanks to the improved alignment
- M1 Crab Nebula - Taurus
- NGC 1514 Crystal Ball Nebula - Taurus
- C2 Bow Tie Nebula - Cepheus
- M76 Little Dumbbell Nebula - Perseus
- M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy and M110 Galaxy
 |
| M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy and M32 - 27x3s (with flat/bias/dark) |
 |
| M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy - 40x2s (with bias/dark) |
 |
| M45 Pleaides - 27x3s (with flat/bias/dark) - desaturated to hide color aberration |
 |
| M45 Pleiades - 20x3s (with bias/dark) |
 |
| Mars 50pc of 10849 x 0.045ms - de noised |
 |
| M1 Crab Nebula 40x1.5s bin2 (asi678mc) |
 |
| NGC 1514 Crystal Ball Nebula - 34x1.5s bin2 (asi678mc) |
 |
| C2 Bow Tie Nebula - 51x1s bin2 (asi678mc) |
 |
| M76 Little Dumbbell Nebula - 120x1s bin2 (asi678mc) |
 |
| M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy 45x1s bin2 (asi678mc) |
 |
| M110 Galaxy - 50x1s bin2 (asi678mc) |