Imaging planets and some DSOs

The sky was mostly clear and Mars visible above the eastern horizon so I decided to take out the Dobs and asi678mc camera to get my first pictures of Mars. I started with Jupiter then turned the scope to Mars. I did not use the Barlow. I captured videos with FireCapture and did the stacking and post-processing in ASIVideoStack.

I also imaged a few DSOs (also with the asi678mc using bin2).

I finished with some visual observations using the binoviewers.

Observations (camera)

  • Jupiter (Great Red Spot) with Io and Europa
  • Mars
  • M1 Crab Nebula - Taurus
  • M42 Great Orion Nebula (zooming in on the center: Trapezium cluster)
  • M43 de Mairan's Nebula - Orion
  • NGC 1975 Running Man Nebula - Orion
Observations (visual)
  • Mars - very bright, could not make out any features
  • M42 Great Orion Nebula (Trapezium cluster)


Jupiter, Io and Europa - 20% of 10150 frames x 1.5 ms

Mars - 20% of 10737 frames x 0.1ms

M1 Crab Nebula 50 x 1s (bin2)

Trapezium Cluster in M42 Great Orion Nebula - 100 x 0.5s (bin2)

M43 de Mairan's Nebula - 50 x 1s (bin2)

NGC 1975 Running Man Nebula - 50 x 1s (bin2)