Night Vision Astronomy (part 2)

I went back out despite bad conditions: a full moon and a lot of passing clouds. 

Even when the clouds would clear up, there were entire constellations I could not see with the naked eye (e.g. Cepheus).

This time, I wanted to try the Aurora Pro with the Maksutov (using the 0.63x FR) and the Baader Zoom.

It was hard to see much in the finder scope, so I started to use the Aurora Pro in front of the finder scope as well. It did help a bit, but moving the Maksutov on the photographic tripods, require two free hands, so it was not very convenient. 

Observations with NV and telescope

  • Jupiter (no NV needed)
  • Mars very close to the Moon (no NV needed): could see both together in the Baader Zoom at 24mm
  • Failed to locate/see C1 Polarissima Cluster - Cepheus
  • M31 Andromeda Galaxy - very faint
  • C14 Double Cluster - Perseus
  • Located but could not see M52 Cassiopeia Salt and Pepper Cluster
  • M103 Cluster Cassiopeia- located but not much to see
  • C10 Cluster - Cassiopeia - located but not much to see
  • M45 Pleiades Taurus - not seeing more stars with NV than without (but fainter stars were brighter with NV)
  • M42 Great Orion Nebula - a bit of color but not as good as with the Dobsonian

Observations with NV only (no telescope)
  • C41 Hyades Cluster - Taurus
  • M31 Andromeda Galaxy
  • C14 Double Cluster - Perseus
  • Tried to figure out the limit magnitude (got to 6.84) but then more clouds rolled in

Later I figured out the f-stop when using the NV:

f-ratio-telescope * focal-length-nv / focal-length-eyepiece

The Aurora Pro has a focal length of 16mm. So with the Baader Zoom at 24mm, the f-stop is:

5 * 16 / 24 = 3.3

Next time, I should try with the 32 mm eye piece, since it will give me a f-stop of:

5 * 16 / 32 = 2.5

Theoretically providing 3.3^2 / 2.5^2 = 1.73x more light ??