EAA with poor seeing

Since clear nights have become rare, I decided to go out despite a very washed out sky and an almost full moon. I wanted to try out my modified polar align script (which displays the error in arc seconds) and also use my enhanced stacking script (which computes the drift-per-frame in pixels).

Once again I used the L-Enhance filter + raiser fix + Siril for post-processing.

During polar alignment, the biggest error seemed to be with the speed that did not look very steady. As a result, I kept subframes at 4-5s.

During the live stacking, images were quite ugly: pronounced green-looking vignette with reddish corner. But after the processed images looked okay considering the conditions.

I tried a number of new targets. I was not successful with very faint diffuse nebulas from the vdB catalog but got decent results with others. I did a few galaxies, but the filter did might have made things worse there. I also tried a very low (and east facing) M45 but did not get any nebulosity to show. 

Observations

  • C4 Iris Nebula - Cepheus
  • vdB 141 Ghost Nebula - Cepheus - not visible
  • vdB 146 Small Cluster Nebula - Cepheus - barely visible
  • vdB 152 Wolf Cave Nebula - Cepheus - a shadow maybe??
  • IC 1396 Elephant Trunk Nebula - Cepheus
  • C9 Cave Nebula - Cepheus
  • NGC 7538 Northern Lagoon Nebula - Cepheus
  • C11 Bubble Nebula - Cassiopeia 
  • M33 Triangulum Galaxy - 32x5s - a bit dim, but NGC 604 (H II region inside the galaxy) popped out more (at least during live stacking)
  • C27 Crescent Nebula - Cygnus - 37x5s
  • IC 5067 Pelican Nebula - Cygnus - 43x5s
  • SH2-101 Tulip Nebula - Cygnus - 37x5s
  • M31 Andromeda Galaxy and M32 - 41x3s
  • M45 Pleiades - Taurus - 37x5s
  • NGC 281 Pacman Nebula - Cassiopeia - 45x4s


C4 Iris Nebula - 28x5s

vdB 141 Ghost Nebula - 41x5s

vdB 146 Small Cluster Nebula - 36x5s

vdB 152 Wolf Cave Nebula - 35x5s

IC 1396 Elephant Trunk Nebula - 32x5s

C9 Cave Nebula - 33x5s

NGC 7538 Northern Lagoon Nebula - 35x5s

C11 Bubble Nebula - 36x5s

M33 Triangulum Galaxy - 32x5s (annotated)

M33 Triangulum Galaxy - 32x5s

C27 Crescent Nebula - 37x5s

IC 5067 Pelican Nebula - 43x5s

SH2-101 Tulip Nebula - Cygnus - 37x5s

M31 Andromeda Galaxy and M32 - 41x3s

M45 Pleiades - Taurus - 37x5s

NGC 281 Pac Man Nebula - 45x4s