First Quarter EAA

I went out today because conditions were clear as forecasted. The moon is in its first quarter but by the time I went out and finished by setup (~9am) it was behind the house. 

I started by a few planetary nebulas which I imaged without the focal reducer. Then added the focal reducer and imaged various nebulas (and some clusters and Uranus). I used the L-Enhance the whole night. 

It helped for most targets: some previously hard target were easier to see (e.g. C50), some nebulas however were not or hardly visible.

Afterwards I ran my stacking script. Like previously, it has a tendency to wash out the images i.e lose the colors, or "shift" them e.g. red looks orange. I need to play some more with the various settings and maybe I should look at "photometric calibration" where colors are adjusted after plate solving the image and looking up the true colors of key stars in the frame.

Most of the pictures below were generated with the stacking script. Some had their saturation boosted in Preview.

Observations:

  • M76 Little Dumbbell Nebula - Perseus
  • C22 Blue Snowball Nebula - Andromeda - too bright - used medium gain but still could barely see inner structure
  • NGC 1514 Crystal Ball Nebula - Taurus
  • C56 Skull Nebula - Cetus
  • NGC 1333 Embryo Nebula - Perseus - very little visible
  • NGC 281 Pacman Nebula - Cassiopeia
  • IC 1795 Fish Head Nebula - Cassiopeia
  • C14 Double Cluster - Perseus
  • NGC 1491 Fossil Footprint Nebula - Perseus - only the brightest part can be seen
  • M45 Pleiades - Taurus - some nebulosity visible - not my best picture
  • Uranus - a moon or two visible?
  • M42 Great Orion Nebula and M43 De Mairan's Nebula 128x2.5s
  • NGC 1977 Running Man Nebula - Orion
  • NGC 1788 Cosmic Bat Nebula - Orion - barely anything
  • IC 434 Horsehead Nebula and NGC 2024 Flame Nebula - Orion
  • M1 Crab Nebula - Taurus
  • IC 443 Jellyfish Nebula - Gemino - not as impressive as Veil's Nebula - may be I wait to image it when it's not so low (and to the East)
  • IC 2169 Dreyer's Nebula - Monoceros - invisble
  • NGC 2264 Cone Nebula - Monoceros
  • C50 Rosette Nebula - Monoceros - too large for my FL - gets clipped as soon as the image drifts a bit - but easier to see in real time than without filter

    M76 Little Dumbbell Nebula 61x3s

    C22 Blue Snowball Nebula 60x1s

    NGC 1514 Crystal Ball Nebula 42x3s

    C56 Skull Nebula 33x5s

    NGC 1333 Embryo Nebula 26x5s

    NGC 281 Pacman Nebula 40x5s

    IC 1795 Fish Head Nebula 53x5s

    C14 Double Cluster 36x2s

    NGC 1491 Fossil Footprint Nebula 44x5s

    M45 Pleiades 17x5s

    Uranus with moons? 56x1s

    M42 Great Orion Nebula and M43 De Mairan's Nebula 64x2.5s

    NGC 1977 Running Man Nebula 34x5s

    NGC 1788 Cosmic Bat Nebula 34x5s

    IC 434 Horsehead Nebula and NGC 2024 Flame Nebula 56x5s

    M1 Crab Nebula 34x5s

    IC 443 Jellyfish Nebula 39x5s

    IC 2169 Dreyer's Nebula 30x5s

    NGC 2264 Cone Nebula 36x5s

    C50 Rosette Nebula 39x3s