EAA with a Windows Laptop
After the disappointment with the ASI 533MM which I had to return because I could never get it to connect, I started looking at other brands (e.g. Player One). However, unlike ZWO they don't come with stacking software. So I decided to get a Windows laptop to be able to use all the astronomy software available on that platform.
I received the new computer earlier today and started setting it up. My scripts (syncstella for plate solving and stackfit for stacking through Siril) run with node.js but do call out to other executables and as a result needed some changes to run on Windows.
I did not manage to get them ready before the evening. I decided to go out anyway to take advantage of the 3% moon and clear skies. I got SharpCap Pro license before heading out and ended up setting up around 9:30pm. I started with the MacBook to align the platform and then switched to the Windows laptop.
SharpCap is a lot richer and more complex than ASILive. There are tons of controls including noise reduction, sharpening, background subtraction etc. It can also plate solve, annotate the view and guide you towards a target. It will take some time to learn and master.
So I will to rework my various scripts not just fix them to run on Windows:
- syncstella might not be needed.
- stackfit will have to change to work with the different directory structure that SharpCap uses and also with the fact that meta data is captured in separate text files instead of being in the file names. It could also use other tools than Siril for stacking - Windows have more options.
- fixastro, the renaming script will also have to pull meta data from the separate text files.
I had trouble getting a decent live view or stack, and even switched back to ASILive for my first target.
Unfortunately, clouds moved in and I ended up packing everything around 11pm. Funny enough, I was not looking up when the clouds appeared and I was getting puzzled by the poor image of M101 I was getting.
Observations:
- M106 Galaxy Canes Venatici
- M51 Whirlpool Galaxy Canes Venatici
- M101 Pinwheel Galaxy Ursa Major


