EAA of DSOs in Sagittarius and more

In the recent days, there were a number of predicted clear nights that turned out to be overcast, but finally tonight I managed to get out and had clear conditions. 

It was a moonless night (new moon is tomorrow) and I wanted to image targets in Sagittarius. Sagittarius is difficult from my house. It stays low in a part of the sky (the south) that is not very good and has obstructions (in the SE and SW directions). This is the only time of the year when I manage to observe its targets. But what a collection of beautiful DSOs it holds!

I used the Geoptik platform and the L-Enhance filters for all my targets. I used 5s subframes for nebulas and 3s for globular and open clusters. I tried 12s subframes for the very challenging C57 Barnard Galaxy.

Live stacks were often poor because of bad subframes, but my stackfit.js script manage to create decent images nonetheless.

I went through a good number of targets.

Observations:

  • M8 Lagoon Nebula - Sagittarius
  • M20 Trifid Nebula - Sagittarius
  • M21 Webb's Cross Cluster - Sagittarius
  • M28 Globular Cluster - Sagittarius
  • M22 Great Sagittarius Globular Cluster
  • M17 Omega Nebula - Sagittarius
  • M16 Eagle Nebula - Sagittarius
  • M18 Black Swan Cluster - Sagittarius
  • M25 Cluster - Sagittarius
  • m24 Sagittarius Star Cloud
  • M11 Wild Duck Cluster - Scutum
  • M26 Open Cluster - Scutum
  • M55 Summer Rose Star Globular Cluster - Sagittarius
  • M75 Globular Cluster - Sagittarius
  • C57 Barnard Galaxy - Sagittarius - very challenging !!
  • M15 Great Pegassus Globular Cluster
  • C47 Globular Cluster - Delphinus
  • NGC 6633 / Mel 201 Tweedledum Cluster
  • Mel 210 Tweedledee Cluster
  • M27 Dumbbell Nebula - Vulpecula
  • NGC 6823 Nebula - Vulpecula 
  • M72 Globular Cluster - Aquarius
  • M2 Globular Cluster - Aquarius

M8 Lagoon Nebula - 74x5s

M20 Trifid Nebula - 80x5s

M21 Webb's Cross Cluster - 21x3s

M28 - 21x3s

M22 Great Sagittarius Cluster - 21x3s

M17 Omega Nebula - 64x5s

M16 Eagle Nebula -  53x5s

M18 Black Swan Cluster - 20x3s

M25 - 30x3s

M24 Sagittarius Star Cloud - 29x3s

M11 Wild Duck Cluster - 29x3s

M26 - 21x3s

M55 Summer Rose Star Globular Cluster - 28x3s

M75 22x3s

C57 Barnard Galaxy - 18x12s

M15 Pegasus Cluster - 18x3s

C47 35x3s

NGC 6633 / Mel 201 Tweedledum Cluster - 23x3s

Mel 210 Tweedledee Cluster - 22x3s

M27 Dumbbell Nebula - 36x5s

NGC 6823 - 48x5s

M72 - 24x3s

M2 - 38x3s