Planets and DSOs

Took advantage of a clear and moonless night to do some EAA. My goal was to image DSOs but also planets (a first with the Geoptik platform).

At the end (around 11:30pm), the sky looked pretty good for San Francisco, so I took used the Baader Zoom to look at Jupiter and its moons.

I started with the focal reducer and the L-Enhance filter.

I removed the filter and replaced the focal reducer with the Barlow lens for Saturn.

After that I continued without focal reducer, Barlow lens or filter.

At the end, for Jupiter, I reinstalled the Barlow lens.

Tracking wise, it was problematic initially but quite good afterwards (for the planets and a few other targets).

Observations:

  • C19 Cocoon Nebula - Cygnus - a lot of frames were rejected and the stack shows tails on the stars
  • C63 Helix Nebula - Aquarius
  • M2 Globular Cluster - Aquarius - very few frames kept
  • Saturn using FireCapture + ASIVideoStack - I also tried ASICap but did not get better results
  • Neptune and Triton
  • Uranus, Oberon, Titania and Umbriel - in ASILive then with FireCapture + ASIVideoStack where one could tell the phase is not 100%
  • M45 Pleiades - Taurus - the Maia nebula - tracking was much better than earlier
  • M33 Triangulum Galaxy - very high in the sky - so much better results than last few times - tracking was also pretty good
  • M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy and M32
  • M110 Galaxy - Andromeda
  • NGC 672 and IC 1727 interacting galaxies - Triangulum
  • Jupiter


C19 Cocoon Nebula - 9x8s

C63 Helix Nebula - 17x6s

M2 - 5x3s

Saturn - best 50% of 7216x21.3ms

Neptune, Triton (bottom left close) - 17x1s

Uranus, Oberon (top left), Titania (bottom left) and Umbriel (bottom left close) - 15x1s

Uranus - best 50% of 513x244.5ms

M45 - Maia Nebula - 21x8s

M33 Triangulum Galaxy - 23x8s

M31 Great Andromeda Galaxy and M32 - 32x4s

M110 - 25x6s

NGC 672 and IC 1727- 24x6s

Jupiter - best 50% of 4093x5.8ms